Welcome to Rage-Inducing Puzzles #2! This week, we will reveal the answers to RIP #1, and the first opportunity to earn RIP points! Last week’s RIP issue was worth 50 RIP points. Check the chart at the end of the answers for how you did.
- Since 0 is a multiplier, the answer must be 0 because anything multiplied by 0 is 0. 3 pts.
- Since X minus all letters is included in the puzzle, X-X is included also. X-X must be 0, so, using the same rule as before, the answer is 0. 5 pts.
- Place 3 marbles in one cup, 3 marbles in a second, and 4 marbles in the third. Then place the second cup in the third. Cup 1 has 3 marbles, Cup 2 has 3 marbles, and Cup 3 has 7 marbles. 5 pts.
- Place the five poker chips in a line. The first, second, third, and fourth are one line, the second, third, fourth and fifth is another. 5 pts.
- Place three poker chips in a stack. Then put the fourth to the right of it and the fifth below it. 5 pts.
- Take off its ear. You will be left with a bee (bear-ear=b). Therefore, you shrunk the bear! 6 pts.
- Twelve. Jan 2, Feb 2, Mar 2, April 2, May 2, June 2, July 2, Sep 2, Oct 2, Nov 2, Dec 2. 5 pts. (If you said 31,536,000 you get 3 pts because that is technically correct.)
- 888+88+8+8+8=1,000. 4 pts.
- 8 8/8 =9. 4 pts.
- If you managed to get this one, you deserve 8 points.
Points and Rating Scale
- 50 = That is… impressive.
- 40-49 = Awesome job!
- 30-39 = Good job.
- 20-29 = Nice try!
- 10-19 = Try to do better next time.
- 1-9 = Remember to think outside the box.
- 0-1 = No comment.
This Week’s Puzzles
- Add one line to make this equation true: 5+5+5=550.
- If 1=5, 2=10, 3=15, and 4=20, what does 5 equal?
- Evaluate on an upside-down calculator- 01/706006.
- 12-6 6-3. 8-? (Hint: Not 4.)
- Name the millionth digit of the decimal expansion of 1/7.
- Name the trillionth digit of the decimal expansion of 4/9.
- Name the 5,917,374,287,274,184th digit of the decimal expansion of 1/11.
- Take 721,236,285,384,374,596,263 marbles and put them in piles. Some rules- 1) The number of piles must be at least 3 2) The number of piles must be less than 4.
- Which number comes next- 1,4,7,11,15,19,21,?
- Which number comes next- 377,233,144,89,55,?